Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Mosque Controversy


In 1989 Easter fell on Sunday March 26.  At that time I was working as a paralegal at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld.  I was working on a special project that required that I work overtime on Easter weekend.  I could have worked on Sunday March 26, Easter Sunday.  But I chose instead to complete the task on Saturday March 25.  I am not a Christian.  I didn't think it was fair to work overtime on a Christian holiday when Christians would not or could not work.  I was sensitive to other people's sensitivities.  Am I a superior person?  No.  I'm just sensitive to appearances.  Simply because something is legal doesn't mean it's a wise thing to do.

But then, it was a Jew, not a Muslim, who invented public relations.

Edward Louis Bernays (November 22, 1891 – March 9, 1995) was an American pioneer in the field of public relations and propaganda along with Ivy Lee, referred to in his obituary as "the father of public relations". Combining the ideas of Gustave Le Bon and Wilfred Trotter on crowd psychology with the psychoanalytical ideas of his uncle, Dr. Sigmund Freud, Bernays was one of the first to attempt to manipulate public opinion using the subconscious.

He felt this manipulation was necessary in society, which he regarded as irrational and dangerous as a result of the 'herd instinct' that Trotter had described.   Adam Curtis's award-winning 2002 documentary for the BBC, The Century of the Self, pinpoints Bernays as the originator of modern public relations, and Bernays was named one of the 100 most influential Americans of the 20th century by Life magazine.

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

According to the psychologist Raymond Cattell, the individual with high ego strength will be:

Private, discreet, nondisclosing, shrewd, polished, worldly, astute, diplomatic (Shrewdness)

Just call me "The Ambassador."