Monday, December 12, 2011

On Metaphors and Analogies

I love metaphors.  I love to create figures of speech that construct an analogy between two things or ideas.

My passion for metaphors, and all that implies about the dynamics of my personality, is matched by an objective measure of my ability to understand verbal analogies.

My high school administered the School and College Abilities Test (SCAT) to all ninth graders.  The SCAT test is a measure of math and verbal reasoning abilities.  The verbal reasoning portion of the test comprises 50 verbal analogies.  I answered 47 of the verbal analogies correctly: 97th percentile ranking.

I'm not writing this to brag.  I'm not really that smart.  What intrigues me is the relationship between my ability to understand and create analogies and the ego satisfaction, or pleasure, I derive from the activity.  I wonder what that means?

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/03/why-was-i-just-average-student-in.html
____________________________

The following is a transcript of my scores on the Differential Aptitude Tests and the School and College Abilities Test.  The scores are on file at The Central High School of Philadelphia: 1700 W Olney Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19141 (215) 276-5262 Fax (215) 276-4721.

DIFFERENTIAL APTITUDE TEST

FREEDMAN GARY 61384105

Raw Score:

Verbal Reasoning 38  Numerical Ability 27 -- VR/NA Combined Raw Score 65

Percentile

Verbal Reasoning 95 Numerical Ability 80 -- VR/NA Combined Percentile 95
_________________________

SCHOOL AND COLLEGE ABILITY TEST

Answer Sheet Number 148835  FREEDMAN GAR

Verbal Ability Raw Score 47 [out of 50 verbal analogies]

Copy Score 302

Percentile Rank 97

Percentile Band 94-99

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

I was just average on the math portion.