Saturday, March 20, 2010

Letter to a Friend of Vernon Jordan: Secretary William T. Coleman, Esq.

The following is an inquiry I mailed to former U.S. Secretary of Transportation, William T. Coleman, Esq. in 1996 in connection with an employment application I had sent to Mr. Coleman's law firm, O'Melveny and Myers back in 1992.  I did not receive a reply from Mr. Coleman.  Mr. Coleman is a prominant African-American lawyer, active in the civil rights movement.  I assume he knows Vernon E. Jordan, Esq., a management partner at my former employer, the D.C. law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer and Feld. 

http://www.muckety.com/Query?SearchResult=1723&SearchResult=1647&graph=MucketyMap?_r=2D

Mr. Coleman and Robert S. Strauss, Esq. both served in senior positions in the Carter Administration.

Mr. Coleman was a former law partner, in Philadelphia, of the legendary Richardson Dilworth (Dilworth, Paxson, Kalisch, Coleman and Levy): a former Philadelphia mayor, district attorney, and school board president.  Richardson Dilworth had been a boyhood hero of mine.  I am a Philadelphia native.

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/03/social-security-document-submission_18.html

Warren Christopher, Esq. -- Deputy U.S. Secretary of State in the Carter Administration and Secretary of State in the Clinton Administration -- is a law partner in Mr. Coleman's law firm, practicing in the Los Angeles office.

http://www.omm.com/warrenchristopher/

I recall sending an employment inquiry to Mr. Christopher in the 1990s that referenced the law enforcement implications of my job termination and its sequelae.  I can't locate the letter addressed to Mr. Christopher at this time.  I did not receive a reply.

Mr. Christopher has close ties to Vernon Jordan.  Both men were named in 1992 by Democratic Presidential nominee Bill Clinton to find a suitable Vice-Presidential nominee. Messrs. Christopher and Jordan settled on Tennessee Senator, Al Gore (a student of psychoanalysis, by the way).

December 30, 1996
3801 Connecticut Ave., NW #136
Washington, DC 20008-4530

William T. Coleman, Jr.
O'Melveny & Myers
Washington, DC 20004-1109

RE: O'Melveny & Myers Employment Inquiry - Homicide/Violence Risk

Dear Mr. Coleman:

During the period March 1988 to October 1991 I was employed as a legal assistant at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld ("Akin Gump"). Attorney managers at Akin Gump terminated my employment effective October 29, 1991 upon determining, in consultation with a psychiatrist, that a complaint of harassment I had lodged against several co-workers was attributable to a psychiatric symptom ("ideas of reference") prominent in the psychotic disorders and typically associated with a risk of violent behavior. See Freedman v. D.C. Dept. of Human Rights, D.C. Superior Court no. MPA 95-14 (final order issued June 10, 1996) (xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxx, J.). In the period immediately after my job termination senior Akin Gump managers determined that it was advisable to secure the office of my direct supervisor against a possible homicidal assault, which it was feared I might commit.

During the summer of 1992, approximately nine months after my job termination by Akin Gump, I submitted an employment inquiry to O'Melveny & Myers, as evidenced by the enclosed response signed by Terri D. Mansir and dated July 21, 1992. I do not know what communications, if any, Terri D. Mansir may have had with Akin Gump's attorney managers or supervisors at the time of this employment inquiry.

I have been under investigation by the U.S. Secret Service as a potential security risk to President William J. Clinton, and was interrogated at the Washington Field Office by Special Agent Philip C. Leadroot as recently as February 1996.

I request that you counsel Terri D. Mansir to candidly disclose to federal authorities the content of any communications she may have had with any senior Akin Gump supervisors or attorney managers, including Dennis M. Race, Esq. (whom I expressly designated as a job reference in the employment inquiry to O'Melveny & Myers), relating to the subject matter of my job termination by Akin Gump, including facts relating to the firm's alleged determination that I suffered from a paranoid mental state that rendered me potentially violent, or facts relating to the firm's concerns that I might have been armed and homicidal and possibly poised to carry out a homicidal assault on the firm's premises.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

No comments: