Thursday, September 15, 2011

How Would Judge Judy Have Disposed of My Case?

I used to work as a paralegal at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld.

Akin Gump determined that I was mentally ill and potentially violent and terminated my employment effective October 29, 1991.

I filed an unlawful job termination complaint with the D.C. Department of Human Rights in February 1992, which eventually made its way to the D.C. Court of Appeals.

I filed pleadings in this matter in 1994 in the D.C. Court of Appeals that were lucid and coherent and did not appear to betray any signs of mental illness that would impair my ability to work in the legal field. I was not on any medication when I filed the pleadings.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) determined, based on Akin Gump's sworn allegations about my mental state the firm filed with the D.C. Department of Human Rights, that I was unemployable as of October 29, 1991 pursuant to a disability claim I had filed with SSA in April 1993. A disability determination by SSA means that a person cannot do the work he was trained to do or which he has done in the past.

In effect, SSA determined that I was unable to do the work of a paralegal or a lawyer effective October 29, 1991.

The D.C. Court of Appeals knew that I was on Social Security Disability when I filed my Petition for Review. My Petition to Proceed on Appeal in forma pauperis filed with the Court stated that I was on Social Security Disability.

What I find interesting is that when Judge Judy has a litigant before her who is on Social Security disability but she believes is not disabled, or who admits to facts that call into question the validity of the claim, she will say: "I am sending a copy of a tape of this proceedings to the Social Security Administration."

Why didn't the judges on the D.C. Court of Appeals who heard my case report me to the Social Security Administration or the U.S. Attorney as a possible case of Social Security fraud?

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

A case of psychosis by estoppel!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fantastic! For some reasons i just loved this post, keep up the good work. Best of luck.


Sample Cover Letters