Monday, March 28, 2011

Patterson Belknap Partner on Seinfeld: They Did Their Own Investigation!

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani appeared in 1993 in an episode of Seinfeld: The Nonfat Yogurt.  In 1977 Rudy Giuliani joined the New York law firm of Patterson Belknap Webb and Tyler.  Coincidentally, Philip Forlenza of Patterson Belknap represented defendant Akin Gump in a $4 billion lawsuit arising out of Akin Gump's hedge fund representation.  For the Chapter -- The Coincidences Never Cease: Jerry Seinfeld appeared in TV commercials for American Express back in the 1990s.  Akin Gump senior counsel Vernon E. Jordan, Jr. serves on the board of directors of American Express.

Incidentally, Patterson Belknap prides itself on independence of thought.  Patterson Belknap is a magnet for independent thinkers.  The firm was founded by attorneys who believed they could create a more congenial atmosphere on their own, away from the lockstep anonymity of larger firms.  Patterson Belknap carefully manages growth and purposefully operates with a single office in New York City.

In the Seinfeld episode The Nonfat Yogurt Jerry, Elaine and George eat at a non-fat frozen yogurt shop in which Kramer has invested. The yogurt is delicious, and they (along with Newman) indulge, as it is "non-fat." When Kramer notices that Jerry and Elaine have gained weight, they become suspicious of the yogurt's contents. Elaine decides to send the yogurt to a laboratory for testing.  The Seinfeld crew embarks on their own investigation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOJLNX5_YM

From the Final Scene:

Giuliani (appearing in a televised press conference): My campaign staff has received some very disturbing information regarding the fat content in yogurt that's being sold throughout the city. I pledge to you now, that if I'm elected mayor, as my first order of business I'll appoint a special task force to investigate this matter. I promise you, my fellow New Yorkers, that Mayor Giuliani will do everything possible to cleanse this city of this falsified non-fat yogurt.

(in the yogurt store)

Jerry: The old yogurt was so much better. Oh, this is terrible.

George: Phew!

Elaine: Oh, it stinks.

Kramer: Mine, too. I got one more day.

Jerry: I can't eat this.

Newman: Hey, Jerry. Thanks a lot. I hope you're happy.

Jerry: It had fat in it, it's not good for you.

Newman: I don't care. It was good. I was enjoying it. Had to interfere. Couldn't leave well enough alone. Well, I will get even with you for this. You can count on it.

Elaine: Hey, you guys, listen to this. Listen to this. (reading from a newspaper report:) "Apparently some blood spilled into Mr. Giuliani's test tube causing his cholesterol count to be 150 points higher than was initially reported. Ironically, the mishap by bringing the non-fat yogurt scandal to the attention of the public, probably clinched the election for the Republican. It was the one issue which seemed to electrify the voters and swept Giuliani into office."

Jerry: So, in effect, the yogurt won him the election.

Elaine: I wonder what actually happened in that lab.

Kramer: Yeah, me, too.

Newman: I can't eat this.

Boy: Thanks for ruining my daddy's business, you fat *beep*!

3 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

When diet and exercise aren't enough, maybe Lipitor can help!

My Daily Struggles said...

Letter to one of Mayor Giuliani's former law partners:

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2009/12/remote-associations-rudy-giuliani.html

simran said...

Seinfeld is all time my favorite show. i watch its all episodes. Watch Seinfeld Online.i like it so much.