Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cleveland Park Library

Let Those People Go

Perhaps you did not hear, one grim day this past summer, about the abrupt dismissal of Hillary Fennell, our library’s much-loved children’s librarian for over 30 years, as part of the sudden and arbitrary termination of all DC Public Library part-time staff throughout the city. So long, folks, there’s the door! Hope you didn’t leave your lunch bag back at your desk, because you won’t see that again! I tried to imagine what logical thought process culminated in this bizarre event.

Dodos
Tags: , , ,

One Response to “Let Those People Go”

  1. I certainly will miss Miss Fennell. I grew up listening to Hillary reading stories. I was just a little chappie, aged 4, when my mama used to take me to the Cleveland Park Library, and I would sit around in a circle with all the other boys and girls and listen to Miss Fennell read to us little tikes. It is one of my favorite memories from childhood. I still remember the mean old Mr. Brown who used to terrorize the children. Mr. Brown was the very embodiment of Mr. Scrooge!

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

CHARLES DICKENS "THE TALE OF SQUIRREL NUTKIN LYRICS"

This is a Tale about a tail—a tail that belonged to a little red squirrel, and his name was Nutkin.

He had a brother called Twinkleberry, and a great many cousins: they lived in a wood at the edge of a lake.

In the middle of the lake there is an island covered with trees and nut bushes; and amongst those trees stands a hollow oak-tree, which is the house of an owl who is called Old Brown.