Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Akin Gump: Sheppard Pratt Employee Assistance Program

The following are pages 504-506 of the record on appeal in Freedman v. D.C. Department of Human Rights, D.C.C.A. no. 96-CV-961 (Sept. 1, 1998) (minus attachments):

January 11, 1993
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Apartment 136
Washington, DC 20008

Mr. Donald M. Stocks
Government of the District
   Of Columbia
Department of Human Rights and
   Minority Business Development
2000 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009

     RE: Docket No.: 90-087-P(N)
           Gary Freedman v. Akin, Gump, Hauer & Feld

Dear Mr. Stocks:

Enclosed for your information is a copy of a registered letter mailed to Sheppard Pratt Preferred Resources concerning the above-referenced Complaint.

I will forward any information I obtain from Sheppard Pratt.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

January 11, 1993
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Apartment 136
Washington, DC 20008

Judy Peres, L.C.S.W.
Sheppard Pratt Preferred Resources
2033 M Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036

Dear Ms. Peres:

I am a former employee of the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, located at 1333 New Hampshire Avenue, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036.

During my employment, which ended October 29, 1991, Sheppard Pratt Preferred Resources was the firm’s designated Employee Assistance Program. On two occasions in September 1989 I consulted with a Sheppard Pratt mental health counselor, Ms. Kathleen Kelly; on one occasion in November 1990 I consulted with you.

This letter will serve as formal written notice, per the client access provision of The District of Columbia Mental Health Information Act, D.C. Code Sec. 6-2041, that I wish to inspect and duplicate the record of mental health information concerning my consultations, which is maintained by Sheppard Pratt.

Also, a sworn pleading, dated May 22, 1992, filed with The District of Columbia Office of Human Rights and Minority Business Development by my former employer, states that some time during the period October 24-October 29, 1991, Mr. Dennis Race, an attorney manager of Akin Gump, requested from, and was in fact provided by, Sheppard Pratt Preferred Resources a representation regarding my mental status. Per the disclosure provision of The District of Columbia Mental Health Information Act, D.C. Code Sec. 6-2004, the record of mental health information maintained by Sheppard Pratt will include (1) the date of the disclosure to my employer, (2) the name of the recipient of the mental health information, and (3) a description of the contents of the disclosure.

I will be contacting you in the near future to arrange a mutually convenient time for me to inspect and duplicate Sheppard Pratt’s record of mental health information, which will by law include a record of the representation regarding my mental status that was provided to my employer.

For your information I am enclosing herewith a copy of the relevant sections of The District of Columbia Mental Health Information Act (Sections 6-2041 and 6-2004) and a copy of the portion of the pleading filed by Akin Gump with The Office of Human Rights stating that my employer sought from, and was provided by, Sheppard Pratt a representation regarding my mental status in late October 1991.

Thank you for your assistance. I may be reached at (202) 362-7064; you may leave messages at (202) 363-3800.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

Enclosures
cc: Donald M. Stocks

No comments: