Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Break-in: For The Record

The D.C. Office of Corporation Counsel cited the following incident in its Reply Brief in Freedman v. D.C. Department of Human Rights, D.C.C.A. no. 96-CV-961 (Sept. 1, 1998).

"Freedman believes that in early January 1990 “employees or members of the firm gained access to [his] apartment without [his] knowledge or consent. These individuals, [Freedman] believes, inspected many of the books in [his] apartment and, armed with a video camera, took a video film of [his] apartment. [Freedman] believes that a copy of that video film was sent to [his] sister. R. 344. Freedman claims that the unlawful entry into his apartment was done with the knowledge and consent of the firm’s management committee. R. 344."

For the record I would like to add the following facts.  The facts prove nothing, but to my addled brain they support my paranoid perceptions.

1.  http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2009/11/stealth-law-firm-sex-junk-and-videotape.html

2.  I took a vacation from my job at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld the last week of December 1989.   Firm records would confirm that.  I didn't go anywhere.  But I cleaned up my apartment, which for the first time in a long time was in a presentable condition.  My paranoid theory?  The resident manager at 3801 Connecticut Avenue where I live (Elaine Wranik) contacted her Akin Gump contact and advised that I had cleaned my apartment.   The law firm personnel entered my apartment on January 2, 1990, inspected it, and made a videotape of the apartment.

3.  In the period immediately after January 2, 1990 I noticed that coworkers used words and phrases that seemed to correspond to titles of books in my apartment.

4. The week following my job termination, in early November 1991, the 3801 building engineer (Pius Cookson) entered my apartment to do some repairs.  During the repair job Elaine Wranik entered my apartment.  I got into a heated argument with her about my refrigerator.  At the height of the argument I blurted out, "My sister still has that videotape."  Elaine Wranik responded angrily, "I have pictures of my own."  I found it interesting that she didn't question what I said, such as, "Videotape?  What videotape?  What are you talking about?"  It was my perception that she knew exactly what I was talking about.

Incidentally, the assistant manager at 3801 in 1991 was a woman named Mal Eno.  Mal Eno must have a story to tell about the goings on with Akin Gump.  I'm sure she knows all about it.

Another thing.  In the early 1990s Elaine Wranik had knee replacement surgery.  She recuperated at her daughter's home.  I think her daughter lived on the Maryland Eastern Shore.  Mothers and daughters tend to talk.

No comments: