Saturday, January 22, 2011

DOJ Interview: Sign of a Guilty Conscience?

On Friday January 15, 2010 I was interviewed at my residence by two officers from the Department of Justice about a law enforcement matter.

One of the officers took the lead.  His interaction with me seemed coercive and intimidating.  The officer attached a negative, hostile interpretation to my past trivial behaviors and statements.  He viewed my quotation of a federal official's use of the word "screaming" as possible evidence of my violent tendencies.  He referred to my blog as an "angry blog" or "very angry blog"  -- evidence of anger sufficient in intensity to merit law enforcement scrutiny and the imposition of protective measures.

I have formed the tentative theory that there is more to the DOJ's motivation for the interview than was ever disclosed.  I believe that the officers' interview was an act of coercion intended to stop or curtail me from continuing my blogging about my employment experiences at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, where I worked as a paralegal until my termination in late October 1991.  My blogging about the firm may have been an embarrassment to the firm.

At the beginning of the interview I gave the lead officer a copy of a book I had written and self-published, a book titled Significant Moments.

After the interview, in what I registered as an odd and gratuitous friendly gesture, the officer asked me to autograph the book.  He handed me a pen and said, "Derrick.  You can address the book to Derrick."

In psychoanalysis there is an ego defense called Undoing.  In Undoing a person tries to 'undo' an unhealthy, destructive or otherwise threatening thought or action by engaging in contrary behaviour. For example, after thinking about being violent with someone, one would then be overly nice or accommodating to them.

Is it possible that the officer's ill-conceived concerns about my anger and potential for violence were a projection of his own anger toward me, and that his peculiar gesture in asking me to autograph a book "to Derrick" was a magical act of undoing intended to erase in his mind his previous intimidating behavior?   Did the officer's magical act of undoing reflect the operation of a guilty conscience in him?

One wonders.

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/08/us-marshal-service-poor-verbal-skills.html

No comments: