Thursday, May 05, 2011

When Was Akin Gump Placed on Notice that I was on Social Security Disability?

April 1, 1994
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
#136
Washington, DC 20008

Dennis M. Race, Esq.
Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld
1333 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036

Dear Mr. Race:

As you may recall, I used to be employed as a legal assistant at Akin Gump.  My employment was terminated on October 29, 1991. Information filed by Akin Gump with the D.C. Department of Human Rights (DOHR) in Freedman v. Akin, Gump, Hauer & Feld (Docket No. 92-087-P(N)) indicated that the firm’s termination decision was motivated solely by concerns regarding my mental health.

In view of my exemplary performance record while employed at Akin Gump, the firm may welcome the opportunity to employ me once again.

In order to allay Akin Gump’s concerns regarding my mental health, this letter advises that I am willing to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, with the results of the evaluation to be made available to you. Might I suggest Gertrude R. Ticho, M.D. as an appropriate mental health professional to perform a full, in-person psychiatric evaluation?  According to information provided by Akin Gump to the DOHR, Dr. Ticho appears to be an individual whose expertise the firm values highly and to whose professional opinion the firm is willing to defer in making personnel decisions.

The above offer is made solely to allay any concerns of Akin Gump management regarding my mental health, however unfounded, that may be preventing reinstatement of my employment, and is made solely to expedite a resolution of the above-referenced DOHR investigation Freedman v. Akin, Hump, Hauer & Feld, currently on appeal before the D.C. Court of Appeals as Freedman v. D.C. Department of Human Rights (Docket 93-AA-1342).  Reinstatement of my employment would, of course, comply with the provisions of the D.C. Human Rights Act of 1977, as amended.

You may advise Mr. Charles L. Reischel, Deputy D.C. Corporation Counsel, of your decision in this matter at your earliest possible convenience.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

cc: U.S. Social Security Administration
Charles L. Reischel
U.S. Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney for D.C. [Eric H. Holder, Jr.]
FBI

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

The D.C. Court of Appeals ultimately dismissed without prejudice Freedman v. D.C. Department of Human Rights (Docket 93-AA-1342) for lack of jurisdiction. I then filed a civil action in D.C. Superior Court, an action that I later appealed to the D.C. Court of Appeals.