Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Ideas of Reference: Tuesday December 2, 2009

My niece underwent surgery yesterday at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona. My sister called me yesterday from the hospital to tell me that the surgery went well.

The theme of "threes" emerged during the conversation:

1. My sister mentioned the BRC gene that may dispose a woman to breast cancer -- BRC is a three-letter term

2. My sister mentioned that there was a musical trio playing in the hospital lobby -- three musical instruments

3. My sister used the phrase "x, y and z" -- another three-letter term

The theme has no meaning for me. That's what's unusual about my ideas of reference. I pick up on patterns and peculiarities of what a person says, but I don't jump to conclusions about the meaning of those peculiarities. I wait -- sometimes for months or years -- for a meaning to reveal itself. Usually, psychotics have what is called a "jump to conclusions" type of cognition. Meanings of things pop up in their heads. My thinking is more like that of a psychoanalyst -- I note peculiarities and wait for a meaning to emerge. I have the ability to defer judgment, which is what a psychoanalyst does.

No comments: