Tuesday, December 29, 2009

On Doing Your Own Investigation

On January 26, 1981, former Representative Richard Kelly (R-FL) became the sixth member of Congress, and the only Republican, to be convicted of bribery charges in the wake of the government's Abscam probe.

Kelly, who was defeated for renomination in September 1980, said he would appeal. He acknowledged taking $25,000 in cash from undercover FBI agents but said he had done so as part of his own investigation into the "suspicious characters" he was dealing with.

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

I've always loved that line: "I was doing my own investigation."

That was Congressman Kelly's defense.

Me too, brother.

My Daily Struggles said...

I was in law school at the time I heard about Congressman Kelly. Oddly enough, I never forgot that line: "I was doing my own investigation."

Apparently my adult behavior goes back to something deeply felt from my childhood, as the Freudians would say.