Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Ideas of Reference: Hoffman Is Pronounced The Same As Hofmann

Here's an interesting thing. It points to the difference between Hoffman and me. I was always able to inspire the people who worked under me. The people who worked under me always adopted my enthusiasm for the task at hand. It was never that way with Hoffman. Hoffman just never inspired the people who worked under him. Hoffman could never generate enthusiasm for the tasks to be done by the people who worked for him.

Cosima Wagner's Diaries, Thursday, October 8, 1874: "The mayor tells me that at the conference Richard had shown admirable moderation and integrity, and it had been a sublime moment when he told Herr Hofmann that, if he could not win over and inspire the people who had to work under him, as he himself managed to do when he was dealing with his singers, then he was in no position to carry out the task entrused to him."

What do you say about that Mr. Hoffman?

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

In November 1989, my then supervisor at Akin Gump, Constance Brown, wrote the following about me:

"Gary is an invaluable, dedicated and highly-motivated individual who takes pride in his work and seems to thrive on heavy volume. Gary recently trained and supervised five temporary coders who were brought in to expedite the coding of some 200,000 pages of document production. In doing so, he inspired the group who were always eager to work and adopted Gary's own sense of commitment to the case. In was Gary who had reservations about temporary help and suggested they only code standard information; and he prepared the detailed summary in order to protect the integrity of the database. Also, Gary was instrumental in redesigning the document summary form to aid in more accurate coding an data entry of document production onto the Firm's network. Gary is as capable and conscientious in digesting depositions and hearing transcripts, always staying flexible and catering to individual needs. I appreciate the job that Gary has done and look forward to other projects with Gary's help. Constance M. Brown 11/6/89" Freedman v. D.C. Dept. Human Rights, record at 310.

My Daily Struggles said...

Laurence J. Hoffman, Esq. was the managing partner at Akin Gump when I worked there.