Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Temperamental Artist

I realize that despite all efforts to the contrary, my existence will probably continue as a restless tension, a constant oscillation between life's opposing poles. My path to myself has reached its climax in a fascinating confusion of symbol and irony, fantasy and realism. It is only now that I at last have found the peace of sincere self-affirmation and life affirmation. The individual must take and continue along that path which the predominant aspect of his nature impels him to choose. Each, whether given to the senses or to the spirit, must be prepared to suffer the lot of his kind; to attempt in curiosity or desperation to do otherwise is to foster a perpetual dissension of the divided self. My center is the individual, opposed to society, its mores, and its institutions. And that individual is myself. I recall, nostalgically, the simpler years of childhood. I re-experience youth with its excruciating years of awakening. I think about modern man, the intellectual and the artist in particular, within the framework of a declining culture. It is in this, its intimately egocentric nature, that my artistic temperament bears the stamp of its age, an age of cultural decline, of spiritual and moral distress, and of extreme loneliness.

I am predominantly an esthete who lives only in dreams, hopes, and anticipation, and who shrinks before realization. I am a self-preoccupied, temperamental artist who vainly seeks a kindred soul. I am paralyzed by chronic indecision and indulge in romantic morbidity. I am an outsider consumed by my own hopelessness and loneliness -- a misfit, to whom the art of life and the art of love are foreign, a timid soul who asks too little of life and expects too much of it. I live in perpetual frustration and disillusionment.

2 comments:

kevin black said...

My question is similar to the previous poster.

Is this a genuine writing of yours or is it simply a doctored copy-and-paste deal that you've put here as a sort of Mad Lib?

I can't tell what's fiction and what's Freedman

My Daily Struggles said...

I don't know how many times I have to tell people: The thoughts and feelings are mine, though the words are somebody else's. Maybe I should retitle my blog "Freedman's Identifications and Associations." Would that make you happy?