Saturday, October 27, 2007

A State of Alienation

I was a hypersensitive, imaginative, lively and extremely headstrong child, and proved to be a constant source of despair and annoyance to my parents and my teachers. School held as little attraction for me as it did for any incorrigible. Hardly had the fourth year of high school begun before I became delinquent and was almost dismissed.

College and law school were meant to end the morbid estheticism into which I had allowed myself to drift. I hoped thereby to become an established, respected member of society. This hope was never realized. Except for the first few years, my law school education did not alleviate my feeling that life is essentially meaningless, nor could my idyllic retreat into academia long contain my inherent restlessness. By 1984, upon completion of my LL.M. program at American University, the life in the law had lost any meaning at all. It had become quite apparent to me that I could not be both a creative dreamer and a "solid citizen," a Phantasiemensch and a Burger, as the Germans would put it.

I am but a gifted misfit. My life has long been restive and discontented. I am unable to bear a comfortable, established mode of existence for any period of time. My life is grim and I live in endless mental agony.

I live the life of a romantic vagabond, forever exhausted and distraught in my quest for solitude. Before life can ever become meaningful for me, I must find and come to terms with myself. I am forever taking painful stock of myself and devote myself assiduously to solitary pleasures. I live like a hermit in my emotional and financial poverty and for years now, I have rarely left my apartment for more than routine outings.

4 comments:

Desambientado said...

Gary.

The place that you will occupy in the Universe, will say wat who you are. If you occupy the all Universe, certainly you will meet interesting people.

Desambientado said...

We have the possibility to modify ours perspectives and learn with others points of view.

Prachi Pareekh said...

"Painkillers," in the long run, often make things more painful.
"Antidepressants" often make us more depressed.

... the precipitate of sorrow is happiness, the precipitate of struggle is success. Life means opportunity ....

To value his own good opinion, a child has to feel that he is a worthwhile person.
He has to have confidence in himself as an individual....so keep smiling....and live life to fullest..

Unknown said...

Haha, nice emendation on the introduction of Hesse's Steppenwolff. Hope you've found your way using your own words.