Thursday, March 13, 2008

Long Day's Journey Into Night: A Monologue

There's something that people need to ponder about me which actually opens them up to the whole arc of writing. What does it cost to be an artist? What did it cost me to be Gary Freedman? What being Gary Freedman cost Gary Freedman was a normal relationship with a mother, it cost me a normal relationship with a father, cost me a happy marriage that never took place. It cost me children I never had. It cost me the friends I never had because I didn't know how. I had never learned that. Now you say, that happens to a lot of people. It does. But not everybody can write about it. Not everybody is really willing to look deep within themselves and see what's going on. Not everybody is able to invest energy into writing about the question, "What am I doing?"

But I am capable of that: writing about my life and those I have known. And that's hard. It is hard to take a pencil and say: This is me in the deepest part of my gut. And this was my mother, and this was my father, and this was all the people who were close to me. And they all in some respect were strivers and failures. That's not an easy thing to say. And what it cost them--artists--what it cost me, I am not sure our artists are truly appreciated and recompensed for their effort.

A long journey into the unknown, into night, we shall eventually fold into it. That is a journey where I put myself. I have put my family on the stage, so to speak, in an effort to try to understand. Now that could be described as a cruel thing. Because I expose everybody. Honesty and truth are hard. Truth is clean but it's hard. And I have spoken the truth about those closest to me.

In my life I was not given the grace, the opportunity, to work things through with my sister, with my mother, with my father. Is that not the case with so many of us? In the here and now. In the tyranny of the moment. The tragedy of time. We so often can't finish things. Art finishes the things that life leaves unfinished.

To a remarkable degree my whole life has gone into the making of my project, as if the truth it conveys and feelings it lays bare were almost more than I could endure in life. Haunted from the start by memories of my past, my whole life has been a kind of seeking flight, a restless search for meaning and identity, reality and truth. At once an escape from and a search for the gorgons of my past and the oblivion I feel at the center of my soul.

"You're the most conceited man I've ever known," a friend once remarked of my habit of continually looking at myself in mirrors. "No," I replied, "I'm just trying to make sure I'm still here."

It was a great mistake my being born a man. I would have been much more successful as a seagull, or a fish. As it is I will always be a stranger who never feels at home. A person who doesn't really want what others want, and who is not really wanted, who can never really belong. Who must always be a little in love with death.

My life has been a turmoil and I spent my life trying to understand something of that turmoil. And I see the turmoil in others. I see the torture in people because I feel it in myself. I feel that in myself--the pulling apart, I was being pulled apart by the questions that I introduced into my life.

These are the age old questions, I suppose, of life itself. Who am I? And where do I come from? And do I have a part in my own fate? Am I simply a checker on the board, being moved around? Do I belong to anything, to anyone? To whom do I belong? To God, who seems to be abandoning me?

I am someone who has suffered terribly as a result of my complete fealty to a vision of the truth, to a notion that there's a depth, that there's a profundity, that there's great complexes and abysses of meaning underneath the surface of life, and that our job as artists and as people is to dig, and to go deep, or to dive, as Melville kept saying, deeper and deeper and deeper. And that it hurts, and that the more deeply you dive you're at more risk of being dismantled or crushed. But that's what your job is. You don't flinch from it. In me I see this absolute God-ordained mission, which is to keep searching, even if in the process you discover that there is no God. It's a terrifying sort of mandate. But it also, I think, should be the mandate of all artists, and, in a way, of all people.

3 comments:

Evydense said...

Profound, deep, sad, illuminating and illusory. These are all words that flitted through my mind as I read your posting. You are no doubt aware by now that I am a much more simplistic soul than you are. I don't know how or where to look for the truth that you speak of. I find it intriguing, though, that this post is so full of morose forgivings, and yet the preceding one started out "I am where I want to be, where I have always wanted to be". Is it just because of the books, or is it the lives that you live vicariously through the books? Do you have to limit yourself to writing in order to satisfy this quest you have? It's true, you are indeed capable of writing about what's going on deep inside yourself, where others cannot, but MUST you? Are you driven? Why? To make a record of it, or to share an unknown truth once you find it, if you do?

You speak of your family relationships, and regrets paint your words. My situation could be the same, but I guess I won't let it. My folks were not parents to me in the sense that most would consider a parent to be, but they were parents to the community I grew up in, and I had a role to play in that "image", to maintain the standing and reputation, and it cost me some of my childhood freedoms. I accepted it at the time as the way I lived, I knew no better. I questioned it after I left home, I went through a "damn them all anyway" phase of blame, then guilt, then acceptance, and I think I'm pretty much back to love, although there are still moments. Much like Kubler-Ross' phases of Death and Dying.

You claim in your piece that your "whole life has been a kind of seeking flight, a restless search for meaning and identity, reality and truth." From what little I have gleaned from your comments and writings, your habit of looking in mirrors is to continuously ensure that your anchoring past is still attached, lest you be freed to start searching the uncharted waters of tomorrow.

You describe yourself as always being a stranger who never feels at home, who doesn't want what others want, who must always be a little in love with death. In other words, you describe yourself as human.

Your list of "Who am I?" questions failing to lead you on what you perceive should be a journey of truth, begs the question "What truth?", and "Whose?"

The irony of your conclusion, more than anything, is the kind of thinking which has led me to believe in belief rather than God. You establish a God-ordained mission (implying at the outset that God exists and has given you this charge), in order to find out whether or not he exists, and how terrifying it would be to discover that he doesn't.

You either have to accept your premise that he does, in which case the search becomes moot, search without any assumptions of existence or non-existence, or assume he doesn't and set out, not to find, but to PROVE he does exist. Otherwise, the entire quest seems futile. This is the kernel of thinking from which faith is born and grown. It becomes the starting point.

The first decision from that point is the most crucial of all. Last night, I had outlined my intentions of my blog contents for today...and it was to return to my theory and deal with decision points, in a much more secular way than this. I think perhaps now I might let it veer into this direction in my entry also. I'll have to give it some thought!

Rick

P.S. I guess it's not a monologue any longer, is it?!!

TK said...

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but, dude, that is straight plagiarism or pretty close to it.

For anyone who still happens upon this site, the words the author uses are those of Eugene O'Neill himself or his biographers.

Check the transcript here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/oneill/filmmore/pt.html

Not cool.

My Daily Struggles said...

TK didn't get it. I'm a plagiarist. That's my art.

The medium is the message. My I -- the I that I present to the world -- is really an "I" or he.

He, Eugene O'Neill, is my "I."