Monday, March 17, 2008

Like a Genie in a Bottle

My personality is a collection of errant genies evaporating into and materializing, helter skelter, from a bottle. One genie, one fragment of my personality, is a poet drafting his verses out of things most people cast aside. He has a withdrawn and private nature. Another genie is very sensitive; like porcelain, he is easy to crack. He appears fragile to those who don't know him too well; but woe to whoever offends him. Paradoxically, another genie is good old plastic; he won't crack no matter what you do with him. Then there is the comedian: shy by nature, but at times excitable. He is able to lose his inhibitions at times and has a tone of voice that gently mocks and questions not just others but himself as well. Another genie is outrageous and outspoken, relishing the shock value of his actions and comments, and often clashing with others. His disarming smiles never look like smiles; they appear more like preludes to an irrepressible and nervous hilarity. He is the wild one. Another genie is the calmest among us, and seems to recede and fade into a pale register. He can manipulate an unsuspecting victim into bending his will. And yet another genie vacillates between his desire for independence and his need for approval, who lacks the perseverance to finish whatever he starts.

The genies do not comprise a total personality. There are vacant portions of my personality, whose absences are more real than their presences. I am like a figure in a photograph, slightly out of focus, blurred, somehow distant. It's as if I am partly hidden behind something -- another person, a tree, peering out, like an imp intruding roguishly on a scene I have not been invited to. I appear absent-minded, frowning, as if unaware that I am being photographed. The genies of my personality are like the Cheshire cat, appearing and disappearing at unexpected turns.

The truth is I can't describe myself -- the I of my being: I am my own definition. One can only say that I am I. If you get to know me, you will slowly see each of the genies appear in turn. Gradually, each one gains an outline and a shape, becoming his own inimitable self.

My room is our sanctuary, our self-contained universe, mocking the reality of the city that sprawls outside the door. I feel the presence of the world only through the disembodied noises emanating from outside my window, or through the occasional laughter and footsteps in the corridor beyond my door.

I need you, my readers, to imagine us, for we won't really exist if you don't. Against the tyranny of time and reality, imagine us the way we sometimes don't dare to imagine ourselves: in our most private and secret moments, in the most extraordinarily ordinary instances of life, listening to music, reading a book, walking down a shady street.

3 comments:

Evydense said...

When you are getting dressed in the morning, do you decide which genie you'll dress that day, or are they all on stand-by in case the occasion calls for them?

If it is the latter case, who's directing the play...who decides which one to give the next lines to? You, or them?

My Daily Struggles said...

Interesting question about my genies. They seem to compete with each other for attention and dominance. Even the shy genies are eager to assert their will. I sometimes wonder whether the genies are in control or whether they are like actors under the control of a director--a controlling, executive part of my personality. At this time I'm inclined to think that nobody's in control. It's just chaos and civil war. A lot like Iraq, really. Competing factions with the American occupiers thinking they're running the show along with the recently elected Iraqi government. But that's probably just an illusion. The governing authorities themselves are just two genies themselves competing with the other genies. It's a real mess, with no exit strategy.

If you notice the picture of "myself" that I inserted in my blog profile. That's the actor John Krasinski, on the American TV sit-com "The Office." That has symbolic meaning for me. I'm not trying to get people to think I look like John Krasinski. My usurpation of his identity is just one more expression of my identity confusion. I identify with the character he plays, who's stuck in a dead-end job, hopelessly in love with a woman who's engaged to be married. I identify with his frustration. I was thinking of using a picture of the actor Matthew Fox on the American TV drama "Lost." If you're familiar with that show, you'll see the symbolic meaning: lost on a mysterious island in the middle of the ocean, craving for a rescuer. That's another one of my identities

Anonymous said...

Great, post! I look forward to getting to know many more of your genies (or geniuses).

WS