Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Letter to DBH re: Treatment Refusal

Maureen Jais-Mick
DC Department of Behavioral Health
64 New York Avenue, NE
Third Floor
Washington, DC  20002

Ms. Jais-Mick:

I have received psychiatric treatment provided by the D.C. Department of Behavioral Health (DBH) since the year 1996, 20 years.  On Monday February 1, 2016, I was advised by Monica Acharya, M.D., attending physician at the K Street Clinic (35 K Street, Washington, DC), that DBH was involuntarily terminating my psychiatric treatment with Alice E. Stone, M.D., a third-year psychiatry resident working under the supervision of Earle Baughman, M.D. (St. Elisabeths Hospital).  Dr. Acharya told me that I needed to see an experienced psychiatrist, and that DBH has no experienced psychiatrists who can treat me.  Dr. Acharya made no effort to help me locate alternative treatment.

I am a resident of the District of Columbia; I have been diagnosed with severe (psychotic) mental illness including paranoid schizophrenia.  DBH has a legal duty to provide psychiatric treatment.  DBH's treatment refusal is a violation of DC law and may also be contrary to applicable federal law.

I need to remind you of troubling aspects of my history.

1.  Dennis M. Race, Esq., (202 887-4028) senior counsel with my former employer, the law firm of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, determined, in consultation with a practicing psychiatrist, that I was potentially violent and unemployable.  Mr. Race concluded that I posed a direct threat in the workplace.

2.  I have been under federal investigation by the U.S. Secret Service as a potential security risk to former President Bill Clinton.

3.  I have been under federal investigation by the U.S. Secret Service as a potential security risk to President Obama.

4.  I have been under federal investigation by the U.S. Marshals Service as a potential security risk to U.S. District Court Judge Ellen Segal Huvelle.  At the time of the investigation the USMS imposed temporary protective measures against me.

5.  I was advised by the U.S. Capitol Police that my name has been placed on a federal watch list of potentially violent felons.

6.  In the year 2004 10 MPDC officers and 4 FBI agents were dispatched to my residence based on concerns that I might become armed and extremely dangerous.  

7.  I am completely isolated socially.  I have no friends or social contacts of any kind.  My only relative is a sister who lives in New Jersey.  I rarely see her.  I live within walking distance of the federal district in Washington, DC.  I suffer from profound loneliness.  Psychological testing performed in the year 2014 disclosed that I am "extremely paranoid."

I strongly urge the DC Department of Behavioral Health to locate appropriate psychiatric treatment for me.  I am sure several U.S. Congressmen would be interested to learn about DBH's handling of my case.

Gary Freedman
Washington, DC
202 362 7064

No comments: