Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001

My memories of September 11, 2001, how I experienced the unfolding events of that day, differ, I suppose, from other people's experiences.

I don't usually watch television in the morning. So I didn't learn of the terrorist attacks when they occurred, in real time.

As usual that morning, I went to the fitness room to work out. It was after 9:30 am. I was working out on the stair climber. Those were the days when the fitness room had a stair climber. The door to the fitness room -- and I'm talking about the old fitness room, the one that preceded the ultra-modern fitness room installed in 2003 -- was made of glass. One of the tenants walked by and glared at me. It was a look that I registered as odd. I thought, "Why is he looking at me like that? What did I do." I suppose, in retrospect, he was wondering why I wasn't following events on TV. That was Michael Epstein, by the way. He used to live in apartment 108.

I finished my workout, came back to my apartment and took a shower. I turned on the radio. NPR was reporting on a fire at the Pentagon. I thought: "A fire at the Pentagon! Who the hell cares about a fire at the Pentagon?" And so I turned the radio off.

I left my building to spend the afternoon at the Cleveland Park Neighborhood Library. People were walking up Connecticut Avenue in droves as I walked south to the library. I assumed there was a problem with the Metro.

Yanni's Deli on Connecticut Avenue was closed. I didn't think anything of that.

When I got to the library there was a sign on the door: "Library closed due to emergency conditions."

I walked back up Connecticut Avenue to the Giant Supermarket. I gathered up a few items and took my place in the check-out line. Adam Skillings was the checkout clerk. He was talking to a customer, saying: "I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now." The customer asked if the store would be open till its normal closing hour of 9:00 PM. Adam Skillings said he didn't know; that he hadn't heard anything yet.

So there were all these clues in the environment that something had happened, but I failed to put things together. It was sort of like the opposite of paranoia. In paranoia, the individual takes chance trivial events and creates a paranoid narrative that ties all the facts together. In this instance, I was failing to put facts together into a coherent narrative or even suspicion.

When I got home at about 12:30 I turned on the television. I remember the late David Bloom on NBC was reporting, recounting all the events of the morning. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I still remember David Bloom using the word "disgusting" to describe the attacks. The word stuck out in my mind. You rarely hear reporters use a word like that in reporting events.

3 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

My Diary from September 2001:

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/07/origins-of-my-blogging-historical.html

9-7-01 I gave a lot of thought to the matter and have decided on the following course of action. I will forward to Dennis Race and Dr. Ruttenberg (and the U.S. Attorney) a copy of (1) the informed consent statement I submitted to Dr. Taub & (2) the statement affirming my continued adherence to a body of beliefs, placed in controversy by the Corporation Counsel, -- beliefs termed delusional. I will include a Consent to Release confidential psychiatric information to Akin Gump. I will request Dennis Race to review the documents & advise Dr. Ruttenberg of any facts about which he or his partners have first-hand knowledge that would affect Dr. Ruttenberg's diagnostic determination that my beliefs are delusional and her medical recommendation (which I will accept) that I take anti-psychotic drug(s). -- If Dennis Race does not provide to Dr. Ruttenberg information material to her decision to prescribe a neuroleptic (which I will take) -- that's the material current harm. I will then advise D. Race that I plan to find a lawyer & sue Akin Gump. To make a long story short -- I vote to evict Dennis Race.

9-10-01 Here are some more people you may want to look into: I believe one or more of the following persons have been contacted by Akin Gump:

Michael Strong, MD: Cardiothoracic surgeon, now affiliated with Hahneman Hospital in Philadelphia. Operated on my father in 1976. Born in 1941.

Gerald Lemole, MD: Cardiologist -- Head of my father' surgical team. Nationally prominent cardiologist.

Mehmet Oz, MD: Nationally prominent cardiologist -- son-in-law of Dr. Lemole. Article about Dr. Oz in The NY Times Magazine in about the year 1995.

[Arrow pointing left.] This is a mint condition $4.00 magazine. Take it back if you want it. It's a "sin" to throw these things away. What about poor sick people in hospitals?

9-11-01 Do you notice that it's getting darker and darker in here? I think Clark [Construction Company] just got it's own little easement -- Ask Earl about that. Did they pay you for that? You know the electric usage is going to go up here, because this entire side of the building [will be dark] -- Tenants will have to have their lights on all day long when they're home. Suggestion, don't rent any apartments on this side of the building to retired people or psychotics like me. If you ask me, Judy [Glassie] ought to call Clark and tell them: "Just pull the whole thing down, put the dirt back where you found it -- and replant the trees!!"

9-12-01 The bombing in New York yesterday reminded me of an additional person you need to look into: During the summers of 1975 & 1976 I worked at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia with a young woman named Joan Fleischman. Subject was a college student enrolled at Temple University. I believe Akin Gump contacted subject in the spring or summer of 1991. Akin Gump was probably alerted to subject by Sid Dorfman (Central High School, 1966, 225th class) (Temple U., B.S., 1970). Ask Dorfman about the great snow storm on Christmas eve 1966. Anyway, Fleischman's parents were Jewish immigrants from Nazi Germany. She stated that from her parent's stories she herself was terrified of bombings and flying glass. Remember 1938? Very bad year.

9-12-01 [supplement] You may not believe this, but I wrote the following note before I heard about the buildings being leveled in NYC yesterday -- Amazing, huh?

[Refers back to statement in message dated 9-11-01 -- "If you ask me, Judy [Glassie] ought to call Clark and tell them: "Just pull the whole thing down, put the dirt back where you found it -- and replant the trees!!"]

My Daily Struggles said...

"the material current harm"

What is the current injury? My mind has always been occupied with that. Maybe I should clerk for Judge Kozinski!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hkyg3GZCVI&feature=fvst

My Daily Struggles said...

By the way, Judge Kozinski had a chance to hire me -- but he passed!

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/05/judge-alex-kozinski-judicial-clerkship.html