Monday, April 16, 2007

Little Known Lincoln Humor


You know what? AIDS is not funny. Believe me, I've tried to write a joke or two about AIDS. But jokes about AIDS are in bad taste.

There are certain topics that are off limits to comedians: JFK, AIDS, the Holocaust. The Lincoln assassination just recently became funny. "I need to see this play like I need a hole in the head."

And I hope to someday live in a world where a person could tell a hilarious AIDS joke. It's one of my dreams.

Lincoln himself probably would have found my joke humorous. Odd that mankind's benefactors should be amusing people. In America at least this is often the case. Anyone who wants to govern the country has to entertain it. During the Civil War people complained about Lincoln's funny stories. Perhaps he sensed that strict seriousness was far more dangerous than any joke. But critics said that he was frivolous and his own Secretary of War referred to him as an ape.

No comments: